Coq au Riesling - chicken braised in dry Riesling and crème fraîche; a creamy twist of the classic Coq au Vin.
This Coq au Riesling is one of the best comfort food which would keep you warm this winter. Always prepare extra pasta or bread for this dish, the cream sauce is so delicious and you can never get enough of.
Wine of course - Coq au "Riesling", perfect with the dry Riesling that you use for cooking the dish. (Cook with wine you'd drink) And very important to use "dry" Riesling, not off-dry nor sweet please.
These crisp, dry Rieslings could cut through the creamy fat which gives a great contrast to this rich dish.
The reason I choose the Stefano Lubiana Sauvignon Blanc is its creaminess and structure, which matches well with the richness of the cream sauce ; same reason for the Conde de Valdemar Finca Cantabria, as it had been aged in French oak barrels and goes well with fish or chicken in sauce.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
2 each, chicken drumsticks and thighs with skin & bone
1 handful of pancetta cubes, or 2 slices of bacon cut into cubes
8 button mushrooms, quartered (or 2 portobello mushrooms)
1/2 of the onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
200 ml dry Riesling
100ml crème fraîche
1 handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 handful of chopped tarragon
1 knot of butter
Salt & Pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Season the chicken pieces both sides with salt & pepper. Melt the butter with a splash of olive oil in a casserole or large wide pan on medium heat. Brown chicken pieces all over (approx. 2 minutes on both sides) and remove from the pan.
2. Add pancetta, and cook until most of the fat has been rendered. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until the onion is soften and translucent.
3. Add mushrooms, fry for another 3 - 5 minutes. Return chicken pieces to pan, add wine and allow to come up to a boil. Season with salt & pepper, cover and turn heat to low, allow it to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. After 15 minutes, turn up the heat, add crème fraîche and tarragon and allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve. Serve with pasta or bread or boiled potatoes.
*Adjust your seasonings to your taste, the pancetta (or bacon) could be quite salty, taste before you add more salt during cooking.
Do not wash mushrooms with water as they will suck up any moisture; Brush and clean the mushrooms with kitchen paper.