F&W Pairing - Linguine alle Vongole
Updated: Sep 25, 2020
Linguine alle vongole, only a few ingredients to make this classic Italian pasta dish.
The ideal wine to pair with would be a minerally & dry Pinot Gris, with a refreshing crisp acidity.
Chardonnay and a dry Rosé would make a great match as well.
Moores Hill Estate Pinot Gris - Tasmania, Australia
42 Degrees South Chardonnay - Tasmania, Australia
42 Degrees South Sparkling Rose NV - Tasmania, Australia
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
1 kg Clams, de-grit and clean
4 cloves garlic
100 ml white wine
400 g dried linguine
1 - 2 red chillies
1 handful of flat-leaf parsley
Salt & Pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Bring a pot of water on to boil. Finely chop garlic cloves, red chillies and flat-leaf parsley while the water is boiling.
2. Add the linguine to the boiling water with a good pinch of salt and cook until slightly underdone.
3. About half way through of the cooking of pasta, get ready to start cooking. Place a large sauté pan onto a medium high heat, then pour a generous lug of olive oil into the hot pan and add the finely chopped garlic, red chillies and parsley stalks. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, add clams and white wine into the pan and put a lid on it to bring the sauce to a boil, shaking occasionally.
4. 2 - 3 mins., the clams will start to open, check occasionally. Remove any opened clams to a serving bowl to avoid over-cooked. Discard any that don't open after a certain time.
5. Add the clams back into the pan. Save a cup of the pasta water, drain the pasta and add to the pan of clams. Let the pasta to soak up the sauce and cook to al dente, add pasta water if the pasta goes dry. Add the chopped parsley leaves, toss well, drizzle with olive oil and serve right away.