Oxtail stew - a classic one-pot comfort food to indulge in with family and friends.
The melt in your mouth beef loaded with carrots, beans and potatoes, with the flavoursome red wine tomato sauce makes it incredibly delicious.
This hearty, rustic stew matches perfectly with aged red Rioja. Medium-full body structure that balance the richness of this meaty stew. Also its red fruit characteristics, earthiness and herbal notes go well with the red wine tomato-based sauce.
DO. Rioja, Spain
Viña Herminia Reserva 2007 ($120)
INGREDIENTS (Serve 4)
1 whole oxtail (8 - 10 pieces)
1 onion (peeled and chopped into chunks)
1 carrot (peeled and chopped into chunks)
10 black olives (pitted)
3 - 4 bay leaves
Sprigs of thyme
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tbsp tomato paste
100ml jarred tomato sauce
200ml red wine
500ml beef broth
5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
Salt & black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Rinse and pat dry the oxtail pieces. In a large bowl, combine oxtails, red wine, bay leaves and thyme. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or even better, overnight.
2. Remove the oxtails from the wine marinade (reserve the wine and herbs), pat dry with kitchen paper. Season the oxtails with salt & black pepper, then coat with flour lightly and shake off any excess.
3. Preheat oven to 150°C
4. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat until very hot. Sear the oxtails on all sides, in batches, until browned and remove from the casserole.
5. Add onion and minced garlic into the remaining dripping, cook to soften. Stir in carrots and tomato paste; then pour the reserved wine and herbs into the casserole, boil for 2 minutes and scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom.
6. Add the tomato sauce, sugar and beef broth, stir to combine and bring to a boil. Return the oxtails to the casserole, make sure the oxtails are immersed into the sauce.
7. Return to the boil, cover with a lid and cook in the pre-heated oven for 2 hours.
8. Add black olives and return into the oven for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest with the lid on for at least 30 minutes, or even overnight.
9. Reheat the casserole before serving.